I crashed immediately when I got home on Sunday evening, totally exhausted... mentally, physically and emotionally...
Reflecting on the events that had taken place over the weekend, since the bus ride on Friday afternoon.... I was filled with a sense of awe at how the Hand of God orchestrated every single moment of the Camp.
How we identified ourselves with nature and how we brought out our talents, this group of diverse, ethnically, culturally different young people with so many different talents and skills. Since we are made in the image and likeness of God, then I can't begin to fathom how awesome our Creator is.
As we sat there tickled to the bone at Mervin's sense of humour, which seemed to appeal very much to the teenagers, we absorbed his words like a sponge. He spoke the truth, about the very real challenges of peer pressure and boy-girl relationship for today's teenagers. We want to assert ourselves and show ourselves to be capable of making our own decisions, yet we are at the tender, young and easily-influenced age. Friends are so important at this age, and so it is important for parents to become friends with their teenagers at this age. Being a teenager today is so challenging.
Every decision comes with a consequence and this is the hard lesson that our teenagers today need to learn. It may be the simple decision of whether or not to make my bed when I wake up or the emotionally disturbing one, of how far should I go with my boy/girl-friend to prove that I love him/her. Once we make the decision, we have to live with the consequence, whether it is easy or difficult.... Being a teenager today is so challenging.
Understanding what our parents expect of us and we, in turn, expect of our parents, is made more challenging when both parents are working and have so little time with their teenagers. Communicating our thoughts and desires honestly, is so scary! Yet that is the only way we can arrive at a better understanding and a closer relationship with our parents. Being a teenager today is so challenging.
The new bonds of friendship that we established or the old ones that we deepened during these few days together, will be cherished in our memories forever. Being a teenager today is so challenging, yet, God is always with us, every step of everyday, reaching out to take our hand, to guide us in the path that He has chosen us for.
I was totally exhausted, and at the same time, very fulfilled, as I witnessed first-hand, the wonder of God's creation (our teenagers and facilitators) coming together, sharing meals together, learning together and celebrating the Eucharist together. It was a fulfilling weekend indeed!
Give thanks to the LORD... whose love endures forever. Ps 118:1
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment